Coconut flakes, cream of coconut, sour cream and toasted coconut extract combined with moist and airy white cake mix makes these cupcakes a dream come true.
- 1 box white cake mix (I use Pillsbury moist supreme white with pudding in the mix)
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package Jell-O Coconut Cream pudding mix
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup coconut cream (can usually find this in the baking isle)
- 1 1/2 tsp toasted coconut extract or flavoring concentrate (I used Wilton brand I found at the craft store)
- 2/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (sweetened is ok, I just prefer unsweetened)
- Set your oven to heat to 350 degrees F and place liners in your cupcake tins.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or mixing bowl if you don’t have one) whisk together the dry cake mix and powdered pudding mix until combined. Mix in all wet ingredients except shredded coconut in a stand mixer set to medium low for one minute. Stop and scrape the bowl with a spatula, then beat the batter on medium high for 2 or 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Pour in the shredded coconut and mix on low for a few seconds to thoroughly combine.
- Fill each liner 2/3 full of batter. I like to use a medium sized mechanical ice scream scoop to keep cupcakes uniform. Place in the oven for 8 minutes, then rotate. Bake for 6 to 8 more minutes, or until a skewer, toothpick, or knife (or whatever you want to stick in the middle of a cupcake) comes out clean. Dump out on a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes before frosting.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American