- 1 bunch (about a pound) of asparagus spears, tough lower ends discarded; upper ends chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium sized leeks, white and light green parts halved lengthwise, sliced thin and rinsed thoroughly
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- 1/2 cup peas (frozen is ok)
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 and 1/2 Cups of Arborio Rice
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- First prepare Gremolata garnish by combining all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Set the chicken broth and 3 cups of water in a saucepan over medium low heat and cover.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large stovetop Dutch oven or 12 inch cast iron skillet and sauté the asparagus over medium high heat, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the peas and cook for about a minute longer. Transfer the vegetables to a container and set aside.
- Add 3 more tablespoons butter to your pan and the chopped leeks. Season lightly with salt and pepper, sautéing leeks for about 6 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the rice and cook, stirring frequently until the ends are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in 1 cup of water and the white wine vinegar and continue to stir frequently until the water is absorbed, about another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 3 more cups of hot broth to the rice, stirring frequently until the broth is absorbed and the bottom of the pan is just barely wet, about 12 minutes.
- Add in 1/2 cup more broth and simmer, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Repeat, adding 1/2 cup of broth about every 3 minutes until the rice is al dente (mostly cooked; chewy texture). Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 Tablespoon of butter, 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese and lemon juice, then gently fold in the asparagus and peas. Garnish with Gremolata and what’s left of the parmesan. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving Size: 12 sides or 6 main course