Amazingly wholesome, healthy and delicious bread baked fresh at home. This recipe is written for an altitude of 5500 feet~ If baking at sea level increase the yeast by 1/2 tablespoon.
- 7 cups sifted whole wheat flour (or 4 and 1/2 cups of wheat berries freshly ground)
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 and 1/2 Tablespoons Rapid Rise (instant) yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 Tablespoons Rye flour (optional)
- 1/2 cup Bulgur wheat prepared (cooked)
- 3 Tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 2 and 1/4 cups water
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter (optional)
- Set your oven rack to the middle position and heat your oven to the lowest setting it will go, or place it on ‘warm’ setting. Spray two 9 X 5 bread pans with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add 4 cups of whole wheat flour, the yeast, salt, vital wheat gluten, ground flax, rye flour and toasted wheat germ. Whisk thoroughly to combine. Set the bowl beneath the mixer and attach the paddle.
- In a microwave safe dish, whisk together the water, honey and sugar. Microwave the liquid mixture for about 2 minutes on high until the mixture reaches a uniform temperature of around 125 degrees, but no more than 130 degrees (whisk it again right before measuring the temp).
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly pour the hot liquid into the flour mixture. Add in the olive oil and the prepared bulgur wheat and continue to mix until thoroughly combined, about 10 seconds.
- Switch out the paddle attachment for the dough hook. Set a timer for 9 minutes and slowly add 2 and 1/2 more cups of flour, 1/2 cup at a time with the mixer running on low speed. When the timer reaches about the 5 minute mark, stop the mixer and scrape down the dough hook and sides of the bowl. Return the mixer to low and let the machine continue to knead the dough without adding any more flour until the 8 minute mark. If by eight minutes the dough is still sticking to the sides of the bowl, add in 1/4 to 1/2 cup more flour and knead just until no more white streaks remain.
- Remove the dough hook and cover the bowl (with the dough still in it) with plastic wrap and leave it alone for 10 minutes.
- Turn off your oven and empty the bread dough onto a clean surface. Divide in half. Roll out to a rectangle approximately 16X8 in size and 1/4 inch thick. Roll one short end to the other short end. Crimp the edge and the ends together and place in the bread pans seam side down. Cover loosely with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with non-stick spray (spray side down) and set in the warm oven to rise for 30 to 45 minutes or until the dough has risen 1 inch above the rim.
- Remove the pans from the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread for 30 minutes, rotating halfway through. Gently dump out the loaves and set on a wire rack to cool. If you like softer crust, brush melted butter on the top and sides of the loaves. Let cool for at least 45 mins before cutting slices to serve.
*See post for important instructions on preparing bulgur for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes