Spicy chipotle chile powder in the ground beef and refried beans makes a fun twist for your Seven Layer dip for the game day menu, party, or binge watching occasion. Make it spicy!
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, divided
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 minced onion
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 cans pinto beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or stock (I always use water and chicken bullion powder)
- 1/2 cup your favorite salsa
- 12 ounces (1 and 1/2 cups) of your favorite guacamole
- 1 cup of sour cream or mexican crema
- 1/2 cup Cheddar or Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 2.25 ounce can of sliced black olives
- minced chives or scallions to garnish (optional)
- Brown ground beef in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the taco seasoning, 1 tablespoon chipotle seasoning, and water. Stir and cook until most of the water is absorbed. Place ground beef in the bottom of a pie plate.
- Melt butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt. Cook onion for 3-5 minutes. Add cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, and garlic. Cook just for 30 seconds, then add the beans. Mix and mash the beans with a fork or potato masher until just a few bits of beans remain. Stir in the chicken broth to loosen the beans. Spread beans over ground beef mixture.
- Pour salsa over refried beans and spread evenly.
- Dollop spoonfuls of guacamole over the salsa and spread evenly.
- Dollop spoonfuls of sour cream over the guacamole and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the sour cream, and place the sliced olives on top.
- Sprinkle with chives or scallions if desired. Can serve right away or be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Category: appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- Calories: 346
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 288 mg
- Fat: 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 9.7 g
- Protein: 24.6 g
- Cholesterol: 49 mg