The very best Goldilocks Kitchen Blueberry Swirl Muffin recipe converted to a healthier, heartier version. These muffins make a great on the go healthy breakfast option and they’re easy to freeze so you can stock up on them for longer storage.
Lemon Streusel Topping
- 2 tablespoons +2 teaspoons of Truvia Baking blend sweetener
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Truvia Baking Blend sweetener
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Stir together the lemon zest and sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Set your oven to heat to 425, move a rack the upper middle position and spray the insides and top of a clean muffin tin with cooking spray or fill with cupcake liners and just spray the top.
- Measure out the sugar. Place scoop out one tablespoon and place it in a small saucepan with 1 cup of fresh blueberries. Set the saucepan over medium heat, stirring and smashing the berries often until jam-like, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While the berries are cooking, stir the wheat bran and water together in a cup. Microwave for about 30 seconds, stir again and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and vital wheat gluten in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk the rest of the sugar and eggs together until smooth, then whisk in the melted butter, vegetable oil, buttermilk soaked wheat bran and vanilla.
- With a rubber spatula, gently mix the liquid ingredients and the blueberries into the dry ingredient mixing bowl. Mix until just moistened; the batter should be very lumpy with a few white streaks of flour remaining. Do not overmix.
- Fill muffin tin cups almost to the top with batter. Spoon 1 teaspoon of the blueberry ‘jam’ you cooked on the stove earlier into the center of each muffin. Gently swirl the jam around with a wooden skewer or toothpick just a few times for each muffin. (The idea is to have swirls of jam in the muffin, not mix it completely into the batter.) Sprinkle each muffin cup with the lemon streusel on top and bake until the muffins are just golden around the edges and a skewer comes out with just a couple crumbs, 15-17 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack. Freeze if desired when completely cooled, about 45 minutes, in large zipper lock freezer bags.
Regular granulated sugar can certainly be used instead of Truvia baking blend. Streusel topping sugar would be 1/3 cup; the amount of sugar in the muffins would be 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar, and you will mix 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar into the stovetop berries to cook.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 231
- Sugar: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 193 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.8 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 9 mg