Chile relleno casserole is a healthier, easier, way to enjoy the delicious Mexican flavors of chile rellenos without the hassle.
- 6 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 pound shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 8 to 10 whole green chiles, roasted, peeled, and tops removed
- Chopped scallions (green onion), optional
- Set your oven to 400 F. Spray a 9X13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, flour and milk until smooth. (Alternatively you can combine these ingredients in a food processor as well.)
- In the prepared casserole dish, spread 1 cup of enchilada sauce into the bottom of the casserole dish. Tear down the side of each chile pepper so it will lay open and flat. Place 4 or 5 chiles in a single layer over the top of the enchilada sauce. Place handfuls of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese over the chiles, leaving about 1/2 cup of cheese for topping later. Place another layer of flattened chiles over the cheese. Set aside.
- Whip the egg whites on high to stiff peaks, about 4 minutes. Stir the egg yolk mixture lightly, then gently pour it into the egg whites. Using a spatula, fold the egg yolks gently into the egg whites until uniform and fluffy. Spread egg batter over the chiles in the casserole dish.
- Place casserole into the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the batter is golden brown on top and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the casserole from the oven. Turn the oven broiler on, and top the casserole with the remaining cheese mixture. Broil casserole until cheese on top is melted and slightly browned. Remove casserole and let cool for about 5-10 minutes. Serve individual servings with remaining enchilada sauce drizzled over the top and optional chopped scallions.
Canned whole green chiles are ready made for this recipe and require no extra prep. If purchasing frozen whole chiles from The Hatch Chile Store, they come peeled and tops removed as well. You’ll just need to thaw them out before using.