Deeply flavored dark chocolate cupcakes with an intense chocolate flavor and just a hint of sweentess; reminiscent of luxurious dark chocolate bars grown-ups enjoy. These cupcakes arent’ sweet enough to be appreciated by kids.
Feel free to simply top them with frosting- caramel, strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter, even coffee flavored frosting works great with these cupcakes.
12 cup muffin tin, cupcake liners, flour sifter
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 ounces of bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream (this ingredient is essential, don’t skip it)
- Place cupcake liners into your tin. Set your oven to heat to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the butter, bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on half power for 1 minute. Stir. Continue to microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt until combined. Add in the melted chocolate, and whisk to combine. Sift one-third the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture and whisk until incorporated. Sift another third of the flour mixture over the batter and combine, repeat with the last third. Whisk in the sour cream until fully combined.
- Fill 12 cupcake liners equally with the batter. Bake for approximately 18-20 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean when poked into the center of a cupcake. Remove cupcake tin from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack for about 20 minutes before emptying individual cupcakes out onto the cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting with your desired frosting. I recomend this frosting recipe.
- Press various valentines treats and candies into the frosting, such as chocolate covered strawberries, macarons, chocolate hearts, conversation hearts, etc. The cupcakes look best when treats of various sizes are used. Serve.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cupcakes, dark chocolate