This pulled pork is well seasoned with a custom green chile rub, then seared, and cooked with lots more chopped Hatch green chile, onions, red bell pepper, garlic, and chicken broth. Perfect for any gathering of friends and family.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2–3 pound pork roast, bone in or boneless, blotted dry with paper towels
- 1 tablespoons of steak or pork seasoning (your choice)
- 2 tablespoon ground Hatch green chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small white or yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced Hatch green chile
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- buns or rice for serving, fresh chopped cilantro and/or lime wedges for a garnish
- Pour one tablespoon of vegetable oil over the roast and rub it all over. Mix together the steak seasoning, ground green chile powder, cumin, and oregano. Generously rub seasonings all over the pork roast.
- Set your Instant pot to saute. Put the pork roast into the pot and cook on each side for about 2 minutes, or until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil to the Instant pot. Add the sliced onions and saute for about 1-2 minutes, or until they soften and begin to turn brown. Add in the diced bell pepper and green chile and cook for about a minute, scraping up the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Pour in the broth and water. Stir and scrape any remaining brown bits off the bottom.
- Nestle the roast back into the pot. Secure the lid on, and set to pressure cook on high for 45 minutes. Allow a natural pressure release for 15 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Shred the meat, and place it back into the pot, discarding bones (if any). Press the saute button and bring contents to a boil. Cook until liquids have reduced to about half. Serve pork warm in slider buns, burger buns, over rice, or however you like.