This post has kindly been supported by The Hatch Chile Store. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This page contains Amazon afiliate links that earn commissions through purchases made on Amazon.com
Pork and green chile were born for each other. This fact is proven by this recipe- Instant Pot Green Chile Pulled Pork is the perfectly easy recipe you need for your next gathering of friends and family, and is perfect for game day!
This recipe takes advantage of all the Instant Pot machine has to offer. First, the pork roast is rubbed with Hatch green chile powder and other spices and herbs to intensify that amazing green chile flavor. Then the roast is seared in the pot before sliced onions, bell pepper, lots and lots of chopped roasted green chile, and fresh garlic are sautéed in the brown bits left behind, building lots of layers of flavor.
Pressure cookers have the ability to soften even the toughest cuts of meat- so to be sure that my green chile pork would turn out as soft as possible I cooked it for 45 minutes on high. Sure enough, I cooked the heck out of it and it shredded like butter.
You know what the best tool is for shredding meat? It’s not two forks, it’s not your stand mixer (although that’s a close second) it’s not an immersion blender. It’s salad scissors! Yes these clever double bladed scissors are fantastic at shredding meat right in a Croc Pot or Instant Pot. They are a must have kitchen tool if you cook a lot of shredded meat .Print
Instant Pot Green Chile Pulled Pork
This pulled pork is well seasoned with a custom green chile rub, then seared, and cooked with lots more chopped Hatch green chile, onions, red bell pepper, garlic, and chicken broth. Perfect for any gathering of friends and family.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2–3 pound pork roast, bone in or boneless, blotted dry with paper towels
- 1 tablespoons of steak or pork seasoning (your choice)
- 2 tablespoon ground Hatch green chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small white or yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced Hatch green chile
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- buns or rice for serving, fresh chopped cilantro and/or lime wedges for a garnish
- Pour one tablespoon of vegetable oil over the roast and rub it all over. Mix together the steak seasoning, ground green chile powder, cumin, and oregano. Generously rub seasonings all over the pork roast.
- Set your Instant pot to saute. Put the pork roast into the pot and cook on each side for about 2 minutes, or until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil to the Instant pot. Add the sliced onions and saute for about 1-2 minutes, or until they soften and begin to turn brown. Add in the diced bell pepper and green chile and cook for about a minute, scraping up the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Pour in the broth and water. Stir and scrape any remaining brown bits off the bottom.
- Nestle the roast back into the pot. Secure the lid on, and set to pressure cook on high for 45 minutes. Allow a natural pressure release for 15 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Shred the meat, and place it back into the pot, discarding bones (if any). Press the saute button and bring contents to a boil. Cook until liquids have reduced to about half. Serve pork warm in slider buns, burger buns, over rice, or however you like.