Lean steak bites braised in Mexican spices, Hatch chile, bell peppers and onions, all stuffed into a well cooked sweet potato. Both filling and potatoes cooked together with an ingenious method in an instant pot!
Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lbs. boneless top round steak
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped roasted Hatch green chile
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Hatch red chile powder
- 1 cup water or broth (chicken or beef)
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes, washed and poked
- Set Instant pot to saute. Add vegetable oil, then add the steak. Sear the steak for about 2 minutes on each side, or until the steak turns deep golden brown in spots. Remove steak to a cutting board.
- Add the sliced onion and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir often, until the onion turns translucent and slightly brown, about 3-4 minutes. While the onion cooks, chop the steak into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add the bell pepper to the pot and cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and green chile and cook for 30 seconds, then stir in the canned diced tomatoes, chopped steak, cumin, coriander, and Hatch red chile powder.
- Pour in the water or broth and stir. Nestle three balls of aluminum foil evenly into the bottom of the pot. Place a trivet over the foil and ensure that it is fairly flat or horizontal. Trivet should be elevated above the steak mixture below. Place prepared sweet potatoes on the trivet and secure the instant pot lid over the top.
- Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Allow a natural release for 10 minutes, then quick release. Remove the potatoes, trivet, and aluminum foil with tongs (they will be very hot!). Discard the aluminum balls. Set the Instant pot to saute, and cook the steak picado mixture until the liquid is reduced in half, about 3-5 minutes.
- Slice open the potatoes and fill with the steak picado. If desired, garnish with sour cream (or mexican crema), and crumbles of queso fresco. Serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: lunch or Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: New Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 402
- Sugar: 8.5
- Sodium: 641
- Fat: 16.1
- Saturated Fat: 4.9
- Carbohydrates: 34.5
- Fiber: 5.7
- Protein: 28.6
- Cholesterol: 75
Keywords: Hatch chile, steak picado, sweet potato, weeknight meal, healthy meal, instant pot, steak, red chile peper