Lean steak bites braised in Mexican spices, Hatch chile, bell peppers, and onions, all stuffed into a well-cooked sweet potato. Both filling and potatoes are cooked together with an ingenious method in an instant pot!
Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb. boneless top-round steak
- 2 teaspoons of your choice of steak seasoning
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped roasted Hatch green chile
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Hatch red chile powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, washed and poked
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Add vegetable oil, and season the steak on both sides with the steak seasoning. Sear the steak in the Instant pot for about 2 minutes on each side, or until the steak turns deep golden brown in spots. Remove steak to a cutting board and set aside.
- Add the sliced onion and bell pepper. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir often, until the onion turns translucent and slightly brown, about 3-4 minutes. While the onion and bell pepper cook, chop the steak into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then stir in the green chile and canned diced tomatoes, chopped steak, cumin, coriander, and Hatch red chile powder.
- Pour in the broth and stir to combine. Nestle three balls of aluminum foil evenly into the bottom of the pot. Place a trivet over the foil and ensure that it is fairly flat or horizontal. Trivet should be elevated above the steak mixture below. Place prepared sweet potatoes on the trivet and secure the instant pot lid over the top.
- Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Allow a natural release for 10 minutes, then flip the quick-release button. Remove the potatoes, trivet, and aluminum foil with tongs (they will be very hot!). Discard the aluminum balls. Set the Instant pot to saute, and cook the steak picada mixture until the liquid is reduced in half, about 3-5 minutes.
- Slice potatoes in half. Serve each half with one-quarter of the steak picada. If desired, garnish with sour cream (or Mexican crema), cheese, and fresh lime juice. Serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: lunch or Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: New Mexican
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 7
- Sodium: 630
- Fat: 16.5
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Carbohydrates: 24.2
- Fiber: 3.7
- Protein: 28.3
- Cholesterol: 75
Keywords: Hatch chile, steak picada, sweet potato, weeknight meal, healthy meal, instant pot, steak, red chile peper