A delicious American classic wrapped up in a cute little package. Your own little apple pie wrapped in a sweet flaky crust.
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and chilled
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins, chopped
- 4 Golden Delicious apples
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor until combined. Scatter butter and shortening over flour mixture and process until mixture resembles wet sand. You may have to stop periodically and scrape down the sides. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in buttermilk until a sticky dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until dough is soft and not sticky. Press dough into an 8X4 inch rectangle, using a ruler to measure. Cut in half so you have two 4X4 squares of dough, wrap each tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. In a second bowl, combine softened butter, raisins, and 3 tablespoons of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Peel the apples and cut through the equator. Remove the core with a melon baller or metal rounded teaspoon and pack butter mixture into each apple half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each dough half into approximately a 12-inch square. Cut each 12-inch square into four equal squares. Working one at a time, lightly brush edges of a dough square with egg white and place an apple, cut side up, in the center of each square. Gather dough one corner at a time on top of the apple, crimping edges to seal. Using a pairing knife, cut a vent hole on top of each dumpling.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick silicone baking mat. Arrange dumplings on the prepared baking sheet, brush tops with egg white, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar. Bake the dumplings until golden brown and juices are bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Serve with cider sauce and ice cream.
- Combine the cider, water, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat until thickened and reduced to 1 and 1/2 cups.
- Off heat, whisk in the butter and lemon juice. Drizzle over apple dumplings and serve. (If making this ahead, refrigerate after step 1. Follow step 2 just before you’re ready to serve, warming the sauce on the stovetop first while the dumplings are baking.)
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American