- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, stems peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces, crowns chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 package of Bacon, cooked well done and crumbled for garnish
- Melt the butter in a dutch oven on the stove top. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Clear off a little spot in the center and add the garlic. Cook the garlic for about 30 seconds in the center to ‘bloom’ the flavor, then mix it in with the onions. Add the broccoli stems and cook, stirring often, for an additional 5 minutes or until bright green.
- Stir in the broth and simmer for 5 minutes or until the broccoli stems are soft. Add the broccoli crowns, cream and nutmeg. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or with a hand held emulsifier. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the Cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in the white pepper and season with salt. Serve with bacon crumbled over the top and garnish with extra cheese if desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American