Hearty Bacon, sweet corn, Hatch green chile, and diced red potatoes form the backbone of this savory chowder, seasoned with onion, garlic, thyme and the secret ultimate ingredient- cream cheese.
- 1 pound of bacon, chopped and cooked, divided
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 pound of red potatoes, scrubbed, diced to 1/4 inch cubes
- 3 cups corn kernels, either canned, frozen, or fresh off the cob
- 2 (16 oz) cans of creamed corn
- 1/2 cup diced Hatch green chile (whatever hotness level you prefer)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, cut into chunks
- Place half the cooked bacon, onion, potatoes, corn, creamed corn, Hatch chile chicken broth, thyme, garlic powder, bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and honey into an 8 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- Ladle 1/2 the chowder into a blender. (Or as much as your blender will allow.) Add the cream cheese pieces. Place the lid on and open the small hole in the center. Hold a towel or washcloth over the hole and blend the contents until smooth and no chunks of cream cheese remain.
- Stir the blended chowder into the rest of the chowder. Serve, sprinkling with the remaining bacon on top.
The small opening in the lid of most blenders is to be opened when blending hot items. It allows the steam to escape, so the contents of your blender do not blow out the top and make a huge mess.
If you have time, sauté the onion in the bacon grease until the onion becomes translucent and starts to brown. Then add it into the slow cooker in step 1. This will add a wonderful depth of flavor to your chowder.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Bacon, Green chile, chile pepper, chowder, corn, chowder, soup, slow cooker, croc pot