Canned pinto beans quickly transformed into delicious refried beans (refritos) for a versatile side dish that goes with breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- strainer or sieve
- potato masher (a fork will do in a pinch)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 (15 oz) cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of ground red Hatch chile powder
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish with freshly grated cheese such as Monterey Jack or Oaxaca
- Set a skillet over medium heat. Add butter and swirl to melt. Add the beans, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and chile powder. Stir and mash the beans until just a few whole beans are left.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Garnish with cheese and optional additions mentioned below if desired.
Freshly minced onion can be substituted for the onion powder in step 1: After the butter is melted, add 1/4 cup minced onion and cook until softened and golden brown. Then continue with adding the beans and seasonings, leaving out the onion powder.
Optional additions to add in step 1 with the beans – 1/4 cup fully cooked chorizo, 1/4 cup chopped Hatch green chile, 1 jalapeno, chopped
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: lunch or Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: New Mexican
Keywords: refried beans, pinto beans, refritos, canned beans, green chile, chili powder