This classic recipe for Cheesy Shredded Potato Casserole makes an excellent side dish for a special occasion.
I barely got a chance to snap a pic of this Cheesy Shredded Potato Casserole before it was whisked away to a potluck party. It was a last minute recipe I was in a rush to get done, so I didn’t get pics of the recipe process. I promise to make it again for my own family and take lots of pics to add to this post :0)
If you plan on serving Easter dinner this upcoming weekend, may I suggest you pair it with a generous helping of Cheesy Shredded Potato Casserole? This recipe is a classic, and has many variations (one of these days I will stir in a can of green chile). Some folks have another name for this casserole: Funeral Potatoes. However, they are so delicious, why wait for such a sad occasion to eat them??
Did you notice the tiny specks of purple in my potatoes? I was out of onion powder, and I improvised in a hurry with red onion. Big mistake, as red onion really doesn’t cook down like white or yellow, and this particular batch turned out over-oniony. Definitely use the onion powder called for in the recipe. Hope you love these potatoes as much as I do! Please comment and rate the recipe for me below!Print
Cheesy Shredded Potato Casserole
- Total Time: 1 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
Some like to call this recipe for Cheesy Shredded Potato Casserole by its other moniker, ‘Funeral Potatoes’. Whatever you call it, the classic dish is delish and super versatile. Serve it for breakfast, side dish, or mix in diced ham and call it a main dish. It won’t disappoint.
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter (4 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend or cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (30-ounce) bag frozen shredded hash browns, partially thawed
- Set your oven to heat to 350 degrees and move an oven rack to the middle position.
- In a 12″ deep sided skillet or a dutch oven, melt butter over medium high heat. Sprinkle the flour over the top and whisk quickly for about a minute. Whisk in broth, half-and-half, garlic and onion powders.
- Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and about 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Bring to a strong simmer, and cook, stirring often, until the mixture thickens, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the cheese, sour cream and hash browns. Empty into a clean 13X9 inch baking dish and place into the oven. Bake for about 50 minutes, let cool for 10, then serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 827 mg
- Fat: 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.4 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 10.6 g
- Cholesterol: 50 mg