There is Delicious Home-Cooked Goodness in Every Bite of Elva’s Ham Chowder
You’ll enjoy creating Elva’s Ham Chowder at home because it’s simple and full of delicious flavor. Your taste buds and tummy will thank you for making Elva’s Ham Chowder tonight. Mmm, Mmm, Mmm! I often hear my husband singing the old Irish tune “Who threw the overalls in Mrs. Murphy’s chowder” when I whip up a pot of this soup :0)
Yet another recipe from my husband’s grandmother, Elva’s Ham Chowder easily doubles to feed a crowd. You probably have most of what you need to make it in your pantry already. Cubed ham is sauteed with onion and celery to add flavor and soften the vegetables. Then you just add canned corn, cream of chicken soup, cream of potato soup, and evaporated milk. One package of cream cheese is melted into the mixture, and you’ve got a thick and hearty soup that satisfies your appetite.
If you desire, you can thin the soup a bit with milk. I personally like it thick and hearty. Do not add any salt to this recipe, the ham and soups impart quite enough salty flavor on their own. If it’s too salty for your liking, adding milk can also help bring the saltiness down a bit. I love adding freshly ground pepper to a hot bowl. Recipes like Easy Bread Bowls or Quick Crusty Dinner Bread would go wonderfully with Elva’s Ham Chowder to round out a hearty dinner!Print
Elva’s Ham Chowder
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
This hearty ham chowder will warm your soul and have you licking the bowl.
- 1 pound chunk of Ham, cubed into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup of celery chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- 2 cans of cream of potato soup
- 1 12 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
- 1 can whole kernel corn in water
- whole milk
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven over medium high heat, saute the ham, onion and celery until vegetables are softened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Then add in the cream soups, evaporated milk, cream cheese and corn with water. Stir constantly to mix together and melt the cream cheese. Remove from heat just before boiling. Add a little milk to thin the soup if it’s to thick for your liking. Sprinkle with pepper and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: American