As many of you know I currently reside in the Land of Enchantment, otherwise known as the state of New Mexico. It’s a land that may look rough around the edges, but if you’re the adventurous type, there’s an incredible amount of culture and beauty to discover. Yes it’s terrain is mostly brown, but green can be found! Green chiles are grown and eaten by the truckload here, most often roasted and chopped and placed on anything edible~ from chocolate to pasta to cheeseburgers. So try a taste of New Mexico today and cook up some Bacon Green Chile Cheeseburgers!
Bacon Green Chile Cheeseburgers start with my very own Amazing DIY hamburger patties. They cook up extra juicy and are packed with great beefy flavor. Once grilled to your liking, top each one off with a thick slice of cheddar cheese. The smell coming off the grill at this point is divine.
Working with Chiles.
I usually purchase my own green chiles and prepare them at home by dry roasting in the oven under the broiler (I shoot for mostly black with blistered skins, turning every minute or so). Then place them in a tupperware container with a tight lid to ‘sweat’ for about 10 minutes. This helps to loosen the skins. Peel the skins, remove the seeds and stems and chop (or not, as shown above).
If you decide to try it my way and you’re new to working with chiles, WEAR GLOVES and never, never touch your eyes or face! Chiles vary greatly in how much capsaicin is contained (the ‘hot’ chemical in the seeds) so play it safe and save yourself from being the human test dummy for pepper spray :0) Or you can save yourself all that work and just purchase a couple small cans of roasted green chile in any mexican food isle at the grocery store. Here it’s Hatch Green Chile all the way, which is sold in little yellow cans all over the US. (I even found it in Idaho.)
Pile that green chile on your burger and top with freshly sliced avocado, tomato, bacon and your choice of spreads. I prefer something called Fry Sauce, a Utah invention made by blending catsup, mayo and pickle juice, and is usually sold by the mayo. I love it on all my burgers! These Bacon Green Chile Cheeseburgers are fantastic tasting, a must try.Print
Bacon Green Chile Cheeseburgers
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
A beefed up version of the classic New Mexican Green Chile Cheeseburger, these burgers get their amazing flavor from homemade hamburger patties, loads of green chile, fresh avocado slices and fry sauce dressing.
- 1 recipe for Amazing DIY Hamburger Patties
- fry sauce
- 2 cans fire roasted green chile (hot or mild)
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- 1 – 2 tomatoes sliced
- 1 head of lettuce, washed and dried, broken into hamburger sized pieces.
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and broken in half
- fry sauce
- Grill the hamburger patties until desired doneness. Before removing patties from the grill, place a slice of cheese over the top of each, close the lid and cook on low heat for about 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove patties from grill and tent with foil for 2 minutes.
Assembling the Cheeseburgers
- Spread the bottom bun with fry sauce. Place a hamburger patty on top, then layer with a spoonful of green chile, one or two slices of tomato, two slices of avocado, two pieces of bacon, and lettuce. Drizzle more fry sauce over the top of the lettuce. Finish by placing the top bun on the burger and eat it like you haven’t seen food in weeks. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: New Mexican
This looks so delicious! This would be perfect for an end-of-the-summer cookout! Can’t wait to give this recipe a try! Thanks so much for sharing it!