Are you working on a healthy goal for 2017? How are you doing so far? Like millions of other folks, I too have a goal to live a more healthy lifestyle in 2017. Since my last pregnancy (with my little Goldilocks), I haven’t been able to find time to fit in the active lifestyle I used to have. I love being outdoors, hiking, and bike riding; none of which I’ve really done in over two years. TWO YEARS. Well that’s going to change starting now.
However you’re doing, I hope this Healthy Start Omelet recipe will inspire you to continue to make progress toward your goals!
How often do you eat a healthy breakfast? If you eat it every morning, you’re doing better than 31 million americans who routinely skip breakfast. I’m sure you’ve heard that breakfast is really important. It’s sooo true! A healthy breakfast gives lasting benefits all day~ like lowering stress and cholesterol levels, and helps you to focus and think more clearly during the day. That could really impact your job! It’s essential for children too, who generally perform better in school academics than those who skip a morning meal. (I’m talking to you teenagers and college students!)
Studies have shown that you’ll feel better not just physically, but emotionally all throughout your day if you start it out right with a healthy breakfast. You’re more likely to make healthier food choices as the day goes on. I’m sure you’ve seen those silly internet ads that say “You’ll dramatically lose weight if you do this one trick….” Yeah, the answer should be, “Eat a healthy breakfast!” I’m not talking doughnuts here peeps, I’m talking loading up on protein and fiber. So bring on those eggs, oats and veggies :0)Print
Healthy Start Omelet
- Total Time: 13 minutes
This omelet is loaded with flavor and protein and light on calories.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons chopped broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped or grated carrot
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large whole egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Mrs Dash Seasoning
- 1 wedge of Laughing Cow light cheese
- 2 Tablespoons fat-free refried beans
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add in olive oil and swirl to cover the bottom. Saute the broccoli, onion and carrot for about 2-3 minutes until soft.
- While the vegetables are cooking, whisk the eggs until combined. When veggies are soft, pour in the egg to spread evenly over the bottom of the pan. Season with Mrs Dash. Turn the heat to low and cover for about 1-2 minutes until the eggs are almost set.
- Crumble the cheese and refried beans in little clumps over the omelet. Fold the omelet in half and let it cook over low heat for about 2 minutes. Serve.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 omelet
This looks so good and fabulous! I always omelete for breakfast to kickstart the day.