Do you need more ‘quick and easy’ things in your life? I think I can help you with that~ as far as dinner goes! Cook this recipe tonight for Mustard Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon and Veggies, and you’ll have a quick super easy dinner ready in just a few minutes. And of course it’s fish and vegetables, so we’re talking a delicious healthy meal packed full of great nutrients and low on calories.
The flavor of this glaze is incredible, and really works so well to bring out the great flavors of salmon. Brush the glaze over your choice of skewered vegetables and make it a complete meal by cooking both at the same time on a broiler pan or grill. I used cherry tomatoes, zucchini, red onion, lemon, and sweet mini peppers for the photos. But you can add whatever you like, as long as it’s sliced thin so it will finish cooking when the salmon is done. My zucchini’s weren’t sliced thin enough and they were a bit too crunchy for my liking. So if you use zucchini slice it thinner than what’s pictured. It only takes about 11 to 13 minutes in the broiler and this recipe is ready for the table.
I used frozen salmon steaks from Sam’s club and they tasted marvelous. I thawed them out completely in a sink filled with some warm water while I mixed up the marinade. But of course you can bring home some fresh salmon from the grocery store. Whatever fish you use, always dry it of excess moisture with a few paper towels before cooking it. If you don’t the meat will steam, not brown, and you’ll lose out on a lot of excellent flavor compounds that browning can give. This applies to all meats (except ground meat). If your salmon has the skin still one one side, place that side down on your broiler pan. You want all that delicious meat exposed so you can slather it in savory glaze that will caramelize and promote browning :0)
If you have other ideas for a side dish and want to skip the veggie skewers, just half the ingredients for the glaze. Mustard Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon and Veggies really is a marvelous tasting quick and easy recipe. Try it, and as always I love to hear your comments!Print
Mustard Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon and veggies
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Sweet savory glaze caramelizes on the salmon and veggie skewers. A quick run under the broiler and this dinner is ready.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 dashes of liquid smoke
- salt and pepper
- 4 salmon fillets at least one inch thick in the middle
- vegetables of your choice (like sweet peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, red onion, etc.)
- Place wooden skewers in a clean sink with about 3 inches of water to soak. Combine the brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, oil, garlic, dill and liquid smoke in a mixing bowl. In a separate small bowl, set aside about 3 tablespoons of glaze for later.
- Line the inside bottom of a broiler pan with foil. Spray the top slotted portion with vegetable oil spray. Place an oven rack 6 inches below the broiler. Set your broiler to heat on high.
- Slice veggies thin and place on skewers that have been soaked in water for at least 15 minutes. Brush the brown sugar mustard glaze on the skewers, turning over to coat both sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set on the broiler pan, leaving room for the salmon.
- Pat salmon steaks dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on the broiler pan skin side down. Brush tops and sides with glaze. Place the broiler pan in the oven and set the timer for 6 minutes. When time is up, open the oven and carefully flip over the veggie skewers. Brush the fish with more glaze and place back in the oven. Broil for another 6 to 8 minutes, or until fish is opaque in the middle. Plate the salmon and veggies and drizzle the extra glaze you set aside earlier over the food. Serve and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American