Melty-gooey cheese covered in mounds of delicious premium roast beef. 30 minutes or less. Perfect for the big game, these quick Superbowl Cheesesteak Sub sandwiches have big flavor but require little effort, so you can spend your time watching the game, sandwich in hand. You’ll love these quick Cheesesteak subs so much you’ll want to make them again for a weeknight meal.
Some recipes will turn out just fine with generic ingredients. This recipe calls for shaved roast beef from your local deli, and I would definitely recommend following the recipe for this item. The first time I made these I was in a hurry and purchased pre-packaged deli meat- Ugh! Sadly disappointing. I was sorely wishing I had gone to the deli for some freshly shaved meat. I knew this recipe had potential, so the next time I was at the grocery store I stopped by the deli and picked up some shaved roast beef. Maybe I’m being a picky foodie, but I thought there was a huge difference in the taste between the processed beef and the freshly shaved beef.
The sliced roast beef gets an extra boost from a tablespoon of steak sauce and sauteed onions flavored with garlic and oregano. Then you’ll broil provolone cheese on the bun of your choice and pile the roast beef and onion on top. You can use any 6 inch rolls, like bolillo or hoagie rolls. I came across some lovely looking sesame-seed sprinkled hoagie rolls and they were great for this recipe. Try to slit the bun like a book- not all the way through. If you slice the rolls in half clean through, your meat will likely fall out onto your lap. Not cool during the game-winning touchdown! And if you like pickles, I’d throw a nice pickle slice on your sandwich too :0) Enjoy the game!Print
Quick Superbowl Cheesesteak subs
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Perfect for the big game, these quick Superbowl Cheesesteak Sub sandwiches have big flavor but require little effort, so you can spend your time watching the game, sandwich in hand.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1 pound shaved deli roast beef, cut into 2 inch strips
- 4 6-inch sub rolls, cut open lengthwise
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set your broiler to low. Move an oven rack to the upper middle position.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sliced onion and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Stir often until soft and golden, about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and oregano and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the roast beef and steak sauce and stir to heat through, about 3 minutes.
- Place split rolls onto lined baking sheet. Divide meat among rolls and top with cheese. Broil about 2 minutes until the cheese is melted and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American